Friday 6 June 2008

Shrushti - Hai koi sawaal?

Though I was actually meeting Srushti for the first time, it didn't show up on her face when we met. In just no time we were friends and we started talking. I had a constant smile on my face as I talked to her. Even she had it but not as much as I had it :) It was already half past 11 and I realised she should go to sleep. I took her on the terrace and lifted her. I was curious to know what she was thinking!

(To make the interaction we had as close to the actual one, I am writing some parts in Hindi.)

I looked up and asked her pointing towards the stars, "Yeh itne saare dots kya hai?" She replied, "Yeh dots nahi, starrrrssss hai!" :D 4 year olds are not as dumb as we think they might be. Yes, Shrushti is a 4 year old cousin of mine who had come home :) I replied, "Par yeh stars hote kya hai?" For a fraction of a second she looked at the stars. But in another fraction she looked at me and asked, "Kyu tumhein nahi pata? Pehli baar dekh rahe ho kya?" Waah beta! Maar diya pehla chaata bahut jald hi! I said, "Haan pehli baar hi dekh raha hu. Tu bata na, yeh stars hote kya hai?" She replied, "Arey yeh woh Twinkle Twinkle little stars mein aate hai na woh hai." Le, itni si baat nahi pata thi!

Koi baat nahi. Hamari jholi mein bhi koi kam questions nahi the! Stars ke baaju mein hi clouds the. So i asked, "Achcha, aur yeh white white kya hai?" She said, "Cloudssss" I said, "Par clouds hote kya hai?" She said, "Clouds mein baarish hoti hai." I knew the reply and so responded in a flash, "Par baarish neeche kaise girti hai?" I never knew she also knew the question and responded equally fast, "Clouds hai na, upar neeche hote hai..aise aise (moving her inverted palm up and down)..aur isliye unmein se paani bahar gir jaata hai." And I just could not control my laughter. It was one of the best naive logics I had ever heard! Hats off to Shrushti!

So we moved to another corner of the terrace now. Behind our house is a huge neem tree. I pointed it out and asked her, "What is that?" She said, "Treeeeeeee" I asked her, "Achcha. Par kaisa hai na tree...Hum log kaise chal sakte hai, ghum fir sakte hai. Woh kyu nahi chalta? Woh kyu ek hi jagah khada rehta hai?" She responded, "Tree toh kitna bada hota hai. Kaise chal sakta hai? Chalne jaega toh gir nahi jaega?" My questions, which I thought could have been top scorers, got bowled out by her responses one after the other.

I just looked at her and laughed out loud! Even she did the same this time. But probably not for the same reason :) She had perhaps discovered the first fool in her life (and that too in 4 years) who was desperate to prove himself a fool by asking her questions, the answers of which she already knew!

Why the hell can't we understand such simple things - that stars toh wohi hote hai jo twinkle twinkle poem mein aate hai. Aur stars shayad bane bhi isiliye honge taaki koi poet yeh poem likh ke famous ho sake; agar koi vessel oopar neeche ho ke paani bahar gira sakta hai toh clouds kyu nahi? Why do we HAVE to maaro the evaporation/condensation fundas!? Roots pakad ke rakhta hai tree ko aisa kaun kehta hai. Woh toh waise hi bechare badnaam kiye jaate hai. Asli reason toh tree ka weight hai. Kahin chalne gaya aur gir gaya toh 10 aur logon ko le marega! Par itni baat hamare dimaag mein kahan ghusegi.

Jo bhi ho, I just can't describe the fun I had with her. Shrushti might be thinking, "Hai koi sawaal?" Par Shrushti ka, hai koi jawaab!?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

shruti sounds verrry cute!!and smart!

Nishchal Shukla નિશ્ચલ શુક્લ said...

ekdum!

anar said...

This reminds of the look this kid gave you in Gundecha.. "abe oye samajh mein nahin aata hai.. yeh triangle hai!" LOL i love it.. still cant get over it.. i remember the camera almost fell off my hands!

Haan kaash hum misconceptions ko nahin jaante honge.. to yeh sab stupid jaise sawal nahin karte!

Apoorva Bhandari said...

Which idiot said that kids are 'blank slates'?

Nishchal Shukla નિશ્ચલ શુક્લ said...

Sahi hai...if they call them 'blank slates', we may have to redefine 'blank'.