Tuesday 3 July 2007

Rain, Rain, Rain Again.....

I started from Ahmedabad for the student interviews (Mumbai) in Gujarat Mail at 10 pm. The train reached Nadiad and had a long hault there due to rains. I went off to sleep. I got up in the morning at 6:30 and noticed that the train wasn't moving (I also noticed that i had a very sound sleep which i generally don't get in train as it keeps on shaking a lot). Thought that it might be some station. But then tried to look down through the window from the top berth (62!) and could see tracks on one side and water on the other.

I got down and went outside to check. Found that it was raining heavily. I asked one guy who was standing at the doors what place it was. He told me that the train was between Ankleshwar and Surat (200 kms from Ahmedabad and 300 kms far from Mumbai! Tab pata chala mujhe itni achchi neend kaise ayi thi raat ko!). Ho gaye student interviews! Called up few colleagues and finally cancelled the mumbai interviews.

The train was standing and enjoying rains in the midst of green fields. The fields around were swaying vigourously in the rains. The rains were falling diagonally because of the strong wind. Nothing could be seen till far except the rainwater, fields and few distant houses. It looked as if some town was nearby. The train was not moving because of the rains. It seemed that other trains had also stopped because not a single train crossed our train. I had already cancelled the Mumbai trip and I was getting down at Surat. But till the train moved, the only thing I could do was enjoy the rains. The rains slowed down and the whistle blew.

The train started moving slowly. The town looking distant neared. And the water that was seen in the fields started appearing on the tracks. A station was coming close. All the tracks were under water. By the time the train reached the station, half the wheels of the train were under water. The train was moving too slowly. It was looking a bit scary. After stopping for about 3 to 5 minutes, the train started again. It sailed through the waters and finally managed to reach a comparatively dry place. The road ahead seemed to be clear and so the train caught up speed and soon reached Surat.

Surat seemed to be comparatively quiet with rains falling intermittently. After a good night’s sleep and all the beautiful scary scenes, I got to reach my uncle’s place! But…I missed my camera!

1 comment:

anar said...

Yes you missed your camera and you hated me for not coming and picking you up in that helicopter.